Monday, January 30, 2017

More Fluid PAintings


Fluid painting - or pouring technique as some call it - can be a very exciting painting adventure. Let me explain.
First, you must know that it requires a lot of color and there will be many tries until you get the knack of it and can achieve some decent results. It's also a very messy business; I usually have to cover everything around my work area in plastic sheets, including myself, and after finishing I still find smudges of paint in the most unexpected places like my hair or on the fridge handle.
And lastly you must do it in a studio or a separate area of your house, because after the paint is settled and you are relatively content with your results the canvas must lay unmoved and untouched until is completely dry, which can take anywhere between 24 to 48 hours, depending on how thick is the paint.

But the bright side of this whole process is the amazing work of the paint itself. You can never predict how the colors will interact, how will they spread around and the fantastic patterns they will make by themselves. Is like watching the birth of a whole universe, without having to do anything. Here is an example:

The whole painting

Zoom in

Of course that things like the colors you pick, the thickness of the fluids, the proportions used or the tilting angles can and will influence the final result, but the moment you finished pouring and tilting the painting around the magic happens by itself. And is indeed so magic and hypnotic that sometimes I cannot stop trying again and again.
I wish I could do a video of this amazing technique, is just too fascinating too watch. Is one of the few things that I enjoy the process more than the final result.
So maybe you could try it too whenever feel like taking a break from the technicalities of painting and just messing around with colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment